Aging, sun damage, weight fluctuations and other genetic and lifestyle factors contribute to facial aging in the form of bone density loss and the breakdown of the skin’s collagen and elastin. These factors cause wrinkles and deep creases as well as volume loss in the face. In order to combat this, nonsurgical facial rejuvenation is accomplished through the use of injectable fillers.
Today there are a number of biocompatible, injectable substances that are approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that can be used to fill facial creases and wrinkles. Often these products are also used to give the face a more youthful shape by building up the area of the cheekbones and camouflaging the jowls. The results of these substances are temporary, lasting anywhere from eight months to two years, depending on the product used.
Can an Injectable Filler Work For You?
You may consider an injectable filler if you wish to fix any of the following:
- Forehead creases
- “Marionette lines” (lines that run from the nose to the corners of the mouth)
- “11” lines (vertical lines between the eyebrows)
- Crow’s feet lines
- Hollowed out cheeks or eye sockets
- Lip lines
- Thin lips
Injectable Fillers Offered at Allure Plastic Surgery
At Allure Plastic Surgery, we only use FDA-approved products. These products are not interchangeable. For example, certain products are effective for the treatment of fine wrinkles but do not work well for deep creases, while other products simply work better at creating volume in deficient areas. Depending on the area to be treated, your surgeon will discuss the best option for you.
- Juvéderm — An injectable gel with a smooth consistency used to smooth facial wrinkles and folds. This hyaluronic acid-based gel filler works by drawing fluid to the injection area. It can be used on any area of the face, including creases on the forehead, smile lines and nasolabial creases (lines that run from the nose to the corners of the mouth).
- Restylane — A hyaluronic acid dermal filler in a gel consistency that is used to treat moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. The hyaluronic acid works by binding with water in the skin and expanding, filling out the wrinkled area. Though comparable, Restylane has a firmer consistency than Juvéderm, making it ideal to firm out deep creases.
- Perlane-L — A gel filler that uses hyaluronic acid to add volume and fullness to the skin. Its thick consistency makes it ideal in the treatment of severe facial wrinkles. The gel is combined with lidocaine, a local anesthetic, which numbs the treatment area as it is injected, for a significantly more comfortable treatment and recovery.
- Voluma — A hyaluronic acid filler that restores volume loss to the cheek area. This filler consists of a smooth gel that can be sculpted with precision in order to combat volume loss caused due to age, giving the mid-face a lifted contour.
- Sculptra — An injectable made of polylactic acid, which aids in the replenishment of collagen. The resulting collagen production adds volume to the face, plumping the skin so that it smooths out wrinkles and corrects hollowness. The injections are applied through a series of treatments so that the results show up gradually (over several months) with final results often lasting two or more years.
- Radiesse — A gel filler made up of calcium-based microspheres that are used to stimulate collagen production in order to treat deep lines and wrinkles around the nose and mouth. This filler can also be used to enhance volume in the lips. The results of Radiesse treatments are immediately visible, with final results that gradually appear over time and last more than one year.
- Belotero –A hyaluronic acid filler made up of a soft, cohesive gel that, when injected, integrates itself into the facial skin tissue, making it the perfect filler to smooth and fill out fine lines. Though this filler gives a soft, subtle correction, it is also strong enough to treat moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Bellafill — A gel filler that uses bovine collagen to stimulate the skin’s own collagen, immediately and permanently correcting facial wrinkles and folds. This gel is injected deep into the skin, directly above the fat layer so that the collagen production is stimulated at a deep level to support the skin structure.
Treatment and Recovery
The injections are performed during an office visit and there is very little down time associated. Usually a topical anesthetic (cream) is used to numb the area. There may be some minor swelling in the area of the injection which usually subsides within 48 hours.
Find Out More about Our Injectable Treatments
If you would like a younger, rejuvenated face without undergoing surgery, an injectable treatment is an ideal alternative. Schedule an appointment by calling Allure Plastic Surgery at (305) 224-8015.