Dealing with a mastectomy can be truly devastating. Breast cancer is a terrible disease to have to deal with, and according to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, over 220,000 women in the US are diagnosed with this terrible disease each year. When it comes to treatment options for this dreaded disease, a mastectomy is often an option for patients who have very aggressive types of cancer. While a mastectomy may get rid of the cancer, the procedure can leave both physical and emotional scars for patients, long after the procedure is done.
What is Reconstructive Breast Surgery?
Reconstructive breast surgery is necessary when a woman has had all or part of her breast removed. With a mastectomy, plastic surgeons rebuild the mound of the breast and can even add the nipple as well as the areola to ensure that a woman’s breasts look natural.
Questions to Ask Your Plastic Surgeon
Before deciding to have reconstructive breast surgery after a mastectomy, it is important to ask a plastic surgeon a series of questions to ensure that you are comfortable with the entire procedure. It may also be helpful to take notes while asking these questions, so that you will have the information after your initial consultation with the doctor.
- Am I a good candidate for reconstructive breast surgery?
- When can I have the procedure done?
- What types of reconstruction will work best for me?
- What is the cost of each type of surgery? Will my insurance cover these procedures?
- What type of surgery do you think would work best for me? Why?
- How many of these procedures have you performed?
- Are you Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons?
- What type of results should I expect?
- Will my reconstructed breast match my other breast?
- What possible complications could I experience after surgery?
- How long will I be in the hospital after surgery?
- How much pain will I experience after surgery?
- How long will it take for me to recover from surgery?
- When can I start to exercise after surgery?
- Will breast reconstruction interfere with my radiation treatments?
As you can see, there are a large number of questions that should be answered by your plastic surgeon before you decide to have reconstructive breast surgery. While it is important to feel like yourself again, it is also important that you take the proper precautions to ensure that your needs are met, that you are safe, and that you understand the complete details of the procedure prior to surgery.
Allure Plastic Surgery Miami – Reconstructive Breast Surgery Experts
At Allure Plastic Surgery of Miami, we have a team of four Board Certified plastic surgeons who have decades of experience performing reconstructive breast surgeries. Contact us today and setup an appointment where you can sit down with one of our plastic surgeons to discuss breast reconstruction and answer any questions that you may have. The plastic surgeon you meet with will participate in the entire surgery process from pre-op appointments to your follow up appointments to ensure that you are comfortable and satisfied throughout the plastic surgery process.